Professional Indemnity Insurance

A very brief outline...

Professional Indemnity Insurance

What is Professional Indemnity Insurance?

A typical Professional Indemnity Insurance policy will provide indemnity to the insured against a financial loss arising from any claims for breach of duty, which may be made by clients of theirs.

As a general rule, regulated professional bodies require their members to take out Professional Indemnity Insurance cover as a compulsory insurance.

Historically, the mainstream professions such as Architects, Accountants, Solicitors, Surveyors and Engineers would be regarded as “Professionals”. In the modern era a professional is now often regarded as a person or business who offers any specialist advice or service.

Ordinarily, Professional Indemnity Insurance is written on a “claims made” basis, which means that it is active for claims made during the policy period, as opposed to just the work done in this period.  Most cover will be “retroactive”, meaning that work done in the past will be covered, which is required by most professionals, as any mistakes that have been made may not come to light until some years after the original work was done.  How far back this cover stretches would be detailed in the policy.

As this is only a brief overview, if you would like to find out more about PI Insurance or find out if we can be of service, please call us on 020 7264 0545 or email us at

Alternatively, simply send us a copy of any proposal form you have filled in (you can find our versions here or we can usually work from a form you have completed for your own broker) and one of our brokers will be in touch within 24 hours to help you save money on this year’s renewal.

Who needs it?

Our extensive experience within the market means that we have a history of providing PI Insurance to a wide range of professions including:

Why choose Cavendish Munro?

There is obviously a little bit more to Professional Indemnity Insurance than the very brief outline above, with different insurers having different policies for different firms’ requirements.  Whilst various professional bodies give out advice and some even have very strict rules on the subject, this usually refers to the minimum that its members must buy.

With this in mind, it is vital to seek the advice of a specialist in this matter.  There are often differences between policies and there may be options which you did not know were even a possibility.

Our experts will be able to guide you through the process and ensure that you have the kind of cover you can rely upon.

For more information about Professional Indemnity Insurance and how we can help you find the best cover, call our team on 020 7264 0545 or send a copy of your proposal form to us (or fill in one of ours here) and one of our brokers will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your needs.

Cavendish Munro